CHARLOTTE JURY AWARDS 1.7 MILLION DOLLAR VERDICT 2012
Eastridge v Eddies Place Restaurant and Bar
(Occurred October 2010 verdict November 2012)
Case Summary -
In October of 2010 while driving home a drunk driver with a blood alcohol level more than three times the legal limit crashed into a couple going more than 100 miles per hour. The drunk driver had just left a bar in South Charlotte where he had been served at least 10 alcoholic beverage drinks. Both the husband and wife spent more than a month in the hospital and the wife lost her baby. Surgery was required for both the husband and wife and both spent months in rehabilitation after the accident.
- Did the accident occur as a result of the alcohol the defendant was served while at Eddies Place Restaurant and Bar?
- Was the restaurant and bar negligent under the dram shop laws?
- The restaurant was negligent in serving alcohol to a person it should have know was drunk
- Although the investigation did not find that the defendant had been served after he was “visibly intoxicated”, the standard under civil law is less than under criminal law
SHOW PROS ARRT Institute Recommendations -
- Insure all of your employees/volunteers are properly trained BEFORE they are allowed to sell or serve alcoholic beverages
- Develop written policies and procedures regarding alcohol sales and service
- Inform the public of your policies by posting signage
- Do not engage in risky drink specials
- Do not allow drinking games on your ABC permitted/licensed premises
- Stop intoxicated patrons at your front door and do not allow them on your premises
TO SCHEDULE TRAINING FOR YOUR STAFF CONTACT SHOW PROS TODAY! 980-272-2171